Salem, MA is without a doubt one of my most favorite places in all of New England, and one of my favorite places to take a day trip. And, come to think of it, I do not believe that many travel bloggers write about Salem.
And, most of what people know of Salem comes from Halloween. Crowds of tourists flock to Salem during the month of October to go on ghost tours and tour haunted houses, and participate in the Haunted Happenings events. But to me, Salem is so much more than that. I have been to Salem on numerous occasions, both during the Halloween season, and again in the spring and summer time when you can actually see the attractions and are not surrounded by hoards of people.
But, I have compiled a list of my top things to do while in Salem, MA. Now, for those of you who know by now, I am a major foodie. I mean, absolutely. So that brings me to my number one thing to do in Salem, MA.
- Head to the Boston Hot Dog Company
This is the best place ever. I have always been a fan of small hole in the wall places, but this one takes the cake. It is a small, privately owned hot dog restaurant. The owner has owned it for years. And every type of Hot Dog that your heart desires that you could possibly want can be found here. Everything from the Chicago Dog to the Taco Dog to the Texas Dog to the Thai Dog. It is absolute incredible.
- Take a walk around the riverfront.
Salem has one of the most beautiful and picturesque waterfronts that I have ever been too. It makes perfect sense to take a lovely walk along the waterfront.
- Visit the Salem Witch Museum
This place is fantastic. You can learn all about the Salem Witch Trials and the history of the trials from beginning to end.
- If your a fan of the television show, BWITCHED, you can always pay a visit to the Bwitched statue.
Check out some of the old boats and/or go on a pirate tour. This boat is owned by the friendship of Salem.
- Walk around downtown Salem. There are so many shops and antique places in downtown Salem. In fact, there is actually a red painted line that goes through all of downtown Salem. Just follow the path and pop into the various stores, perhaps for a deck of tarot cards.
- Get your future red by a psychic. It may sound cliche, But, when in Salem, right? They practically have psychics lining the streets.
- Visit Hex
Hex is one of my favorite places. I stop in this little store every time I visit Salem. I stop by to have my future read, shop for books, shop for tarot cards, and just because it is such a unique looking store. It is great for all of those with an interest in witchcraft and sorcery.
- Visit the House of the Seven Gables.
This also makes for an excellent tour.
- Number 10. Last, but not least, number 10. Visit Haunted Happenings. It is worth being part of the event at least once in your life. It is an entire month full of events during October.