I won’t lie to you. Once upon a time, I too hated the thought of eating by myself. I hated going to the bar or going to restaurants. I mean, I do enjoy company and being able to immerse myself and loose myself in a conversation.
But, I soon found, that the more I went out to eat solo, the more I learned about myself. I am sorrounded by people all day long. Sometimes I need that break. I think we all do. Sometimes I just want to be left alone with my wine, to people watch, to enjoy the taste of my food, to meet new people and make new friends. I have so many stories, an arsenal of stories about times when I went out to eat by myself or to the bar by myself and the people that I met along the way.
So, what should you do when you find yourself eating alone?
- Strike up a conversation with the bar tender or your waitress. They are rather surprisingly interesting people.
- Bring along your phone. Sometimes I will bring my phone, an go on social media, read a book, text friends, take photographs. Yes, I am one of those people who takes photographs of food. However, the one thing I do not like about having that phone with me is that it causes me to not have true social interactions anymore. When I have that cell phone out, I feel as if I am hiding behind the phone.
- Bring a book. I love having a juicy piece of literature that I can sink my teeth into.
- Write. I am certainly a writer. Writing has always been somewhat of an escape for me. I travel and I always come back with so many stories to share and to tell. Honestly, anybody can write, but it takes a special kind of person to become a story teller. And different people have different takes on stories.
- People watch. People truly are very interesting and one of a kind.
So you see, just because you are alone does not mean that you have to be lonely. There is a lot that you can do.